Google

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Rant # 2 SSRS has no Page Report Level variables

I didn't intend this blog to end up as a repository for my various rants about the technology, somehow however that is what my last post (and now this one) will have ended up being.........oh well

Essentially I think microsoft screwed up. But let me elaborate.

I think one thing which is almost certainly necessary to accomplish some tasks within a report is to have the ability to have variables. Ones you can declare yourself and access at various levels within the report. To my knowledge (and please correct me if I am wrong) this isn't possible in SSRS.
Some cool stuff is there I haven't seen before like the ability to call C# code modules and this has been drastically improved. BUT these are only calls to static methods, there is no way to say invoke a class and use this to carry information throughout the report.

But that is a nice to have.... one ESSENTIAL is to have the ability to store and pass information throughout the reports, I just don't understand the need to place boundaries through which you can't pass information, namely the Page Header -> Details -> Page footer, even within the detail section itself......

this flaw has caused us to jump through hoops on a number of occasions, pushing many functions into the stored procedure rather than in the report where it belongs.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home